Alabama Pistol Laws and Carrying/Transporting Pistol
Permits to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Alabama are issued by the Sheriff’s Office to persons over the age of 18. In order to obtain a permit or renew an expired permit, you must come to the Sheriff's Office or renew by our mail-in program. The Sheriff’s Office is required to run a criminal history and recieve an application on all persons requesting a pistol permit.
There are some people who are prohibited by certain State and Federal laws from obtaining a pistol permit:
- No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence;
- No person who is a drug addict;
- No person who is an habitual drunkard;
- No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft;
- No person discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
- No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent;
- No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship;
- No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor;
- No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
- No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms;
- No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives;
The fee for obtaining a pistol permit is $15.00. This fee is payable by cash, check or money order. Debit or credit card payment is not available, but an ATM is located in the Jackson County Courthouse for your convenience.
Pistol permits may be obtained Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The office does NOT close for lunch.
In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing handgun licenses issued by other states provided that those states would recognize Alabama's pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama. As of August 1, 2013 Alabama recognizes all 50 states pistol permits.